These are the individual tractates of Nashim, the third order of the Mishna. These descriptions are not meant as
halachic decisions. Please consult an Orthodox Rabbi for specific information.
- Yevamos - The very complicated laws concerning a levirite marriage. A levirite marriage is what happens if a man dies, leaving a widow and no children. The wife, before she can marry anyone else, must first either marry her late husband's brother or obtain from him Chalitza (a kind of divorce).
- Kesubos - The laws of marriage contracts, specifically the obligations and financial responsibilities that a husband has towards his wife.
- Nedarim - The laws of vows.
- Nazir - The laws of the Nazirite. A Nazirite is a Jew who abstains from wine, contact with the dead, and haircuts.
- Sotah - The laws of the suspected adulteress.
- Gitten - Divorce laws.
- Kiddushin - Marriage laws.
Rabbi Boruch Clinton teaches at the Ottawa Torah Institute yeshiva high
school and Machon Sarah high school for girls (both in Ottawa, Canada).
You may reach him with comments and questions at
You can now read some of Rabbi Clinton's essays on Torah life at
You can also buy his collection of essays on
the Book of Shmuel (Samuel) in printed form at
Copyright © 2000 by Rabbi
Clinton and Project Genesis, Inc.
EMOR AND THE OMER:
The Holiday Cycle
Rabbi Berel Wein - 5773
Speaking Reveals All
Rabbi Pinchas Winston - 5759
Have No Regrets
Rabbi Yissocher Frand - 5756
A Count of Anticipation
Rabbi Yehudah Prero - 5758
Accessing the Light - Ohr Ain Sof
Rabbi Pinchas Winston - 5773
Four Types of Jews
Shlomo Katz - 5760
Omer: The New Crop
Rabbi Osher Chaim Levene - 5767
Rabbi Yochanan Zweig - 5774
Shlomo Katz - 5768
Paying the Rent
Rabbi Pinchas Avruch - 5762
Rabbi Moshe Peretz Gilden - 5763
Our Friend, Shabbos
Rabbi Dovid Green - 5758
Forty-Nine Days, Eleven Hours
Rabbi Naftali Reich - 5769
Prisms of Light - Reflections From a Shattered Glass
Rabbi Naftali Reich - 5773
You Can Say That Again!
Rabbi Eliyahu Hoffmann - 5759
Compassion For the Blasphemer
Rabbi Yissocher Frand - 5774