These are the individual tractates of Zeraim, the first order of the Mishna. These descriptions are not meant as
Halachic decisions. Please consult an Orthodox Rabbi for specific information.
- Berachos - While this tractate is not directly relevant to the general theme of this order (agricultural laws), Berachos is, nevertheless, a good start-off tractate for the Talmud. It deals with the laws and philosophy of prayer and blessings, which is a central part of every Jews life.
- Peah - The laws requiring a Jewish farmer to leave parts of his crop for the poor.
- Demai - The status of produce about which it is questionable if proper tithes had been removed.
- Kilayim - The laws concerning forbidden mixtures (planting various crops in one field, plowing with work animals of different species, clothing containing both linen and wool).
- Shviis - The laws concerning the requirement for Jewish farmers in Israel to leave their fields unworked every seventh year.
- Trumos - The laws concerning those parts of Israeli produce that must be given to a Kohen (priest).
- Ma'asros - The laws of the tithes that must be given to a Levi.
- Ma'aser Sheni The laws of the secondary tithe that must be eaten only in Jerusalem (or redeemed with coins that are to be spent in Jerusalem).
- Challah - The the laws of the portion of dough that must be removed from baked goods and given to a Kohen.
- Arla - The prohibition of eating from the fruits of a tree in its first three years (and what the do with the fruits of the fourth year so they may be eaten).
- Bikurim - Describes the bringing of a farmer's first fruits to Jerusalem (in the time of the Temple).
Rabbi Boruch Clinton teaches at the Ottawa Torah Institute yeshiva high
school and Machon Sarah high school for girls (both in Ottawa, Canada).
You may reach him with comments and questions at
You can now read some of Rabbi Clinton's essays on Torah life at
You can also buy his collection of essays on
the Book of Shmuel (Samuel) in printed form at
Copyright © 2000 by Rabbi
Clinton and Project Genesis, Inc.
VAYEITZEI AND CHANUKAH:
How Extrordinary The Result
Rabbi Dovid Green - 5761
The Truth of Deceit
Rabbi Aron Tendler - 5761
It's Who You're Dealing With
Rabbi Yisroel Ciner - 5761
The Simile of the Dust of the Earth
Rabbi Yissocher Frand - 5766
Rabbi Berel Wein - 5761
Out of Luck - Into G-d
Rabbi Pinchas Winston - 5761
Analyzing The Imagery of A Familiar Chanukah Poem
Rabbi Yissocher Frand - 5765
Caught Not Taught
Rabbi Dovid Green - 5758
Good and Bad Company
Shlomo Katz - 5768
Lend Me an Ear
Rabbi Raymond Beyda - 5767
A New Perspective
Shlomo Katz - 5768
Well-Fare of a Tzaddik
Rabbi Pinchas Winston - 5758
A Matter of Honour
Rabbi Eliyahu Hoffmann - 5763
Turn, Turn, Turn...
Rabbi Yisroel Ciner - 5759
Fourteen Sleepless Years
Rabbi Naftali Reich - 5770
Chanukah: A Postscript
Rabbi Yehudah Prero - 5756