Insights from Krakow
Chidushei Rabbenu Yosef Nechemiah
Rav Yosef Nechemiah Kornitzer (1880-1923) was one of the last pre-Shoah chief rabbonim of Krakow. His method of Torah commentary is creative and original, and very much in the style of the Chasam Sofer and his son, R. Shimon Sofer, from whom he descended, and whom he frequently references. He often produces quick, sharp insights, rather than lengthy constructions. It is no surprise that so many of his pieces are crowd-pleasers. (In his day, R. Isaac Bernstein z”l is said to have given the largest regular shiur in Europe. It is my recollection that it was rare for his parsha shiur not to include some offering from R. Kornitzer.)
The manuscript is said to have miraculously survived the Shoah, and was published afterwards.
As in previous years, what I present is an adaptation, rather than a translation. It is offered in the hope that readers will find their way back to the original.
- Bereishis Creation, Interrupted
- Noach Noach’s Humility
- Lech Lecha Not A Drag
- Vayera Avraham the Judge
- Chayei Sarah The Reluctant Monarch
- Toldos Making Parents Kvell is An Accomplishment
- Vayeitzei Calming Yaakov
- Vayishlach What Yaakov Feared
- Vayeishev What Yaakov Wanted
- Miketz If At First You Don’t Succeed…
- Vayigash The Price of Fame
- Vayechi Why Rochel?
- Shemos Unwanted Babies?
- Vaera Did That Really Happen to Us?
- Bo Will That Be Well Done?
- Beshalach How To Win Friends and Influence Future Generations
- Yisro What Impressed Yisro?
- Mishpatim Credit Where Credit Is Due
- Terumah Holy Discord
- Tetzaveh Gladdening Hashem’s Heart
- Ki Sisa Cancelling Leaders
- Vayakhel-Pekudei Practically Right
- Vayikra It Sometimes Is The Thought That Counts
- Tzav What Emerges From the Olah
- Shemini Not Always Is Help Extended
- Tazria-Metzorah Who’s Going Where?
- Acharei Mos-Kedoshim Progress on the Egypt-Canaan Highway
- Emor Give the Kid a Break
- Behar-Bechukosai The Strength to be Pure
- Naso Prerequisite to Divine Blessing
- Behaaloscha Taking a Beating
- Shlach Climb The Most Important Mountain
- Korach Korach’s Parah Adumah
- Chukas-Balak Preparing for the ER
- Chukas-Balak Protocols of the Elders of Anti-Zion
- Pinchas Conflict of Interest
- Matos-Masei Taking Proper Possession
- Devarim Clip Those Wings
- Vaeschanan Robbing the Poor
- Eikev Molten Rock Rocks!
- Reeh Whose Celebration?
- Shoftim The Enforcers
- Netzavim-Vayeilech Self-Shrinking
- Haazinu Friends, Countrymen, Lend Me Your Hearts